- Press preview 23 April at 9am, exhibition runs 24 April – 10 May
- Includes intimate display of stills, films and books by legendary photographer Elliott Erwitt
- Plus guest exhibition: #FutureofCities , presented by Sony's Global Imaging Ambassadors and in collaboration with Panos Pictures
- Prints of images available for first time courtesy of thehub from theprintspace
- Images available from press.worldphoto.org
- February 2015: The world’s largest photography competition returns to Somerset House, London this April and May to showcase the winning and shortlisted images of the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards.
- Taken from a record-breaking 173,444entries from 171 countries, the extraordinary images showcase the world’s best and most original contemporary photography of the past year.
- A press preview will take place on Thursday 23 April at 9am. For tickets please email email@example.com . The shortlisted images will be revealed on 24 February.
- Camera technology has empowered everyone to take photographs and the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards exhibition offers a perfect opportunity to be inspired by some of the world’s best photographers and most stimulating images. No matter individual tastes or experience of photography, the diverse categories spanning portraiture, current affairs, landscape, sport and still life will capture all imaginations.
- The photographs, taken by professional and amateur photographers from across the globe, are fresh, arresting and thought-provoking. Scenes which have been viewed many times before are given a fresh perspective by artists who have got under the skin of their situation.
- A backstage look at women’s wrestling in Bolivia is full of humour while aerial shots of sun worshippers sheltering under massive beach umbrellas on Italy’s Adriatic coastline provide stunning colour. An unflinching series of images of the victims of the Rana Plaza collapse in Bangladesh is just one example of the great empathy shown by many of the winning photographers. Above all, the photographs in the exhibition are full of artistic integrity and are simply beautifully shot.
- The exhibition will also feature the work of the L’Iris d’Or, the Sony World Photography Awards’ Photographer of the Year and winner of the $25,000 (USD) prize, who will be announced at an awards ceremony in London on 23 April, the night before the exhibition opens.
- For the first time, visitors to the exhibition will be able to buy prints of the photographs on display courtesy of the hub, a new online print fulfilment service provided by the UK’s biggest professional photo & art printing service, theprintspace.
- Elliott Erwitt, Outstanding Contribution to Photography
- An intimate display of both familiar and lesser known photographs, films and books by legendary Magnum photographer Elliott Erwitt will also be part of the exhibition.
- Erwitt, who will receive the Outstanding Contribution to Photography prize at the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards on 23 April, is a master of photography recognised worldwide for his candid and often ironic black and white images capturing everyday life. A rare public talk between Erwitt and his long-time book designer Stuart Smith will also take place on 24 April. Details can be seen at www.worldphoto.org/2015exhibition
Guest Exhibition: #FutureofCities, presented by Sony's Global Imaging Ambassadors and in collaboration with Panos Pictures
Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors programme is about storytelling, through amazing still and moving imagery. In collaboration with world renowned photo agency Panos Pictures, it presents photography from #FutureofCities, a nine month social documentary initiative examining the mass urban shift of the global population in our major cities.
With over a dozen photo commissions, this project explores how cities around the world are evolving and coping with the large-scale migrations of people from suburban and rural areas into urban environments. Photographers include: Abbie Tratler-Smith; Guy Martin; Adam Dean; Brian Sokol and Noriko Hayashi.
For further details and images please contact:
Jill Cotton, Senior PR Manager, World Photography Organisation
+44 (0) 20 7886 3043 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Press preview: Thursday 23 April at 9am
- Dates: 24 April – 10 May
- Venue: East and West Wings, Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 1LA
- Tickets: £8.50 any time/ £6.50 weekday (10am-4pm)/ £5 concessions
- Times: Tues – Fri 10am-9pm/ Sat – Mon 10am -6pm
- Books tickets at www.worldphoto.org/2015exhibition
- About World Photography Organisation (WPO)
WPO is a home where photography is celebrated and the art of the photographer is recognised. Working with professional , enthusiast and student photographers alike, the World Photography Organisation provides a global network across the photographic industry to not only to raise the level of conversation around the subject, but to increase awareness and appreciation of this artform. WPO hosts a year-round portfolio of industry and public events including: Sony World Photography Awards, the world’s largest photography competition and accompanying global exhibition; the World Photography Student Focus Programme, inspiring and working with the next generation of photographers, Photo Shanghai, Asia Pacific’s premier art fair dedicated to photography. In addition, WPO has a thriving online presence via its website, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and addresses the industry’s latest issues in its monthly online publication, The Magazine. For more information please visit www.worldphoto.org
- About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $75 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/
- About Sony Global Imaging Ambassadors
Sony’s Imaging Ambassadors European program is about storytelling, through amazing still and moving imagery. Our photographers span the globe and together have documented fame, fashion, culture, sportsmanship, war, celebration, human devastation and environmental shifts. Collectively they have captured our fast-changing world from every angle. Ultimately, these photographers communicate a vast collection of stories that move us. Making this all possible and providing the tools with which to tell these stories is Sony. Through this Imaging Ambassadors program, we at Sony make it our priority to support great storytellers and provide them with infinite ways to create beautiful imagery. For more on the program, visit http://imagingambassadors.sony.net/
- About Somerset House
A unique part of the London cultural scene, Somerset House is an historic building where surprising and original work comes to life.
From its 18th century origins, Somerset House has been a centre for debate and discussion – an intellectual powerhouse for the nation. Somerset House is today a key cultural destination in London in which to experience a broad range of artistic activity, engage with artists, designers and makers and be a part of a major creative forum – an environment that is relaxed, welcoming to all and inspirational to visit while providing a stimulating workplace for the cultural and creative industries.
Since its opening in 2000, Somerset House has built up a distinctive outdoor public programme including Skate, concerts, an open-air film season and a diverse range of temporary exhibitions throughout the site focusing on contemporary culture, with an extensive learning programme attached.
It is now the home of London Fashion Week in February and September each year and probably the biggest community of creative organisations in London including the The Courtauld Gallery and Institute of Art, King’s College London Cultural Institute and over 100 other creative businesses. We currently attract approximately 2.5 million visitors every year.
- About printspace
theprintspace was launched in 2007 and has quickly grown to become the UK’s biggest professional photo & art printing service. They offer printing, mounting and framing, both online and in-house in Shoreditch, London. A firm favourite with creative artists and photographers, theprintspace’s award winning service offers gallery standard quality at affordable prices, which is why they are consistently chosen by Turner Prize-winning artists and National Portrait Gallery award-winners.
theprintspace has recently launched thehub, a new online ordering system which allows users to store their images online for easy reprints, and create customised branded online art stores to sell prints of their work directly to the public. This service is another commitment of theprintspace to provide the tools their clients need to succeed and prosper in the art & photography world.