Sony today announced two new APS-C zoom lenses in the G LensTM series for its E-mount line-up, including the E 16-55mm F2.8 G standard zoom lens and the E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens. With this announcement, Sony’s versatile E-mount system now features a total of 54 lenses. Along with the two newly launched APS-C Mirrorless Cameras (Alpha 6600) and (Alpha 6100), Sony’s APS-C range has been further strengthened, offering creators the ability to capture the desired moment with Sony’s advanced technologies in compact and lightweight camera bodies. Sony’s “One Mount” solution for both APS-C and Full-frame cameras provides creators an extreme amount of versatility for all of their photography and video needs.
“We are extremely committed to building our E-mount line-up, in both Full-frame as well as APS-C,” said Yann Salmon Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing, Digital Imaging, Sony Europe. “We will continue to drive innovation in all aspects of imaging, empowering all creators to capture and create like they’ve never been able to before.”
Ultra-Sharp APS-C E 16-55mm F2.8 G Standard Zoom Lens (model SEL1655G)
The 16-55mm (24-82.5mm in 35mm equivalent focal length) APS-C standard zoom with a constant F2.8 aperture offers excellent G Lens image quality with outstanding all-around performance. This lens is ideal for professionals as well as enthusiasts to capture landscapes, portraits, and everyday snapshots.
- High corner-to-corner resolution throughout the zoom range even at F2.8
- Two AA (advanced aspherical) and two aspherical elements suppress aberration for outstanding corner-to-corner G Lens resolution, while three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements reduce chromatic aberration and colour bleeding to a minimum
- Clear and high image quality by suppressing flare and ghosting by adoption of Nano AR coating
- 9-blade circular aperture mechanism and precisely controlled spherical aberration ensure beautiful bokeh
- Bright constant F2.8 optics in a compact, lightweight lens weighing just 494 grams
- XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motor - as equipped in G Master™ series lenses - utilised for fast, precise, quiet AF and tracking
- Professional control and reliability
- Customisable focus hold button for instantaneous operation
- Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Dust and moisture resistant design in order to deal with difficult outdoor conditions
- Fluorine coated front element to resist dirt and fingerprints
Compact and Lightweight APS-C E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens (model SEL70350G)
The new E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens with optimised optical and mechanical design provides excellent G Lens image quality throughout the image area, right out to the maximum 350mm (105-525mm in 35mm equivalent) focal length. High optical performance is combined with the convenience and mobility of a compact, lightweight design even with 5x zoom. It also includes built-in optical image stabilisation which adds even further stability and convenience to this versatile super-telephoto zoom that is ideal for landscape and wildlife photographers.
- Excellent corner-to-corner G Lens image quality all the way to 350mm
- One aspherical lens suppresses optical aberration and provide outstanding resolution from corner-to-corner
- Three ED glass elements effectively arranged suppress chromatic aberration and control colour blur even at corners
- Circular aperture contributes to soft, beautiful bokeh
- Compact, lightweight design weighing just 625 grams makes this 5x super-telephoto zoom remarkably mobile
- Sony’s advanced XD Linear Motor technology in an APS-C format lens, for fast, precise AF and tracking
- Excellent control and reliability
- Built-in Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilisation makes it easier to capture images with greatly reduced blur, particularly when shooting at super-telephoto focal lengths
- A conveniently placed focus hold button can be assigned to a variety of functions via camera body
- An AF/MF focus mode switch on the lens makes it easy to quickly switch between auto and manual focus to respond to changing shooting needs
- Engage the zoom lock switch to prevent the lens from extending under its own weight during transportation
- Dust and moisture resistant design
Pricing and Availability
The SEL1655G and SEL70350G will ship in October 2019 priced at approximately £1200 and €1300 and £830 and €900 respectively.
For full product details on the SEL1655G, please visit: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sel1655g
For full product details on the SEL70350G, please visit: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sel70350g
A variety of exclusive stories, videos and exciting new content shot with the newest cameras and other Sony α products can be found at
https://www.sony.co.uk/alphauniverse. Sony’s European photography hub is available in 22 languages and details product news, competitions and an up-to-date list of Sony events in each country.
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, semiconductors and financial services - Sony's purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. For more information, visit: http://www.sony.net/