Enhancing Sony's unique user experience, Chairman, CEO and President of Sony Corporation, Sir Howard Stringer, announced what's next for 3D; “We are going to build on our leadership in 3D – across the board. And keep in mind that no one has done more than Sony to introduce the world to 3D in every dimension.”
He also unveiled the eagerly anticipated Head Mounted Display 'Personal 3D Viewer,' which offers a new 3D viewing style that gives users the most intimate and immersive 3D experience with a large, movie theatre-like virtual screen.
In April of this year, the establishment of Consumer Products and Services Group (CPSG) brought together Sony's entire portfolio of consumer products and network services under a single unified team for the very first time. Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation, unveiled the incarnation of this convergence of hardware, content and network - the Sony Tablet S and P - commenting "In pursuit of realising a truly converged experience, we have accelerated the integration of hardware, content and network, and this 'uniquely Sony' proposition is embodied in our new Sony Tablet launched today at IFA."
Integrated User Experience
Sony's aim is to create a network that brings its devices and content together in a way that is both simple to use and beautiful to behold. Therefore, in harmony with the new Sony Tablet, Kazuo Hirai also unveiled that the “Qriocity” network platform, offering video and music services, will be realigned with “Sony Entertainment Network,” which is the next step towards the goal of realising a single, global, comprehensive platform of all network services, which will be accessible from one convenient account.
As the first step, “Video On Demand powered by Qriocity” will be re-named “Video Unlimited” and “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity” will become “Music Unlimited.” “Video Unlimited” as well as “Music Unlimited” – which now has a global catalogue of over 10 million songs – are both already available in nine countries. These services will add more content and grow to new markets. “Music Unlimited” will also expand to more devices including Walkman[i] within 2011[ii].
“Through ‘Sony Entertainment Network,’ we can provide everything that Sony customers value – and want – in a convenient, comprehensive manner that is uniquely Sony in its presentation and delivery,” said Kazuo Hirai.
IFA Booth Highlights
Officially opening Sony's 2011 IFA booth, Fujio Nishida, President of Sony Europe, said, "From our brand-new Sony Tablet devices, Personal 3D Viewer and Wi-Fi Reader, to the latest α (alpha) digital cameras, visitors to this year's stand can learn firsthand how the connected experience expands the imagination, creating a new value and a new level of enjoyment."
A trip to this year's booth will take you on a thrilling journey of a true 'uniquely Sony' connected experience. Whether it be ‘Music’, ‘Movies’, ‘Games’ or ‘Memories’, Sony has captured the essence of creating, viewing, sharing and enjoying this entertainment in four amazing interactive experience areas.
Key product highlights enticing visitors in Sony's four experience areas at this year's IFA:
- “Sony Tablet” S and “Sony Tablet” P
- Head Mounted Display “Personal 3D Viewer” (HMZ-T1) a wearable personal 3D experience
- Xperia Arc S - the fastest and most entertaining Xperia smartphone to date, built on the award-winning Xperia Arc
- VAIO L Series
- VAIO S Series
- Glasses-free 3D panel for VAIO S Series 15.5" (39.5cm)with Blu-ray drive
- Reader™ Wi-Fi® (PRS-T1) World’s Lightest 6” eReader with Enhanced Touchscreen[iii]
- Reader Store launching in European markets
- Network Media Player (SMP-N200)
- αNEX-5N ultra-responsive compact interchangeable lens camera
- αNEX-7 all-in-one compact interchangeable lens camera
- Alpha α65/α77 24.3 effective megapixels with world's fastest 12 fps AF-enabled continuous shooting[iv]
- Handycam NEX-VG20
- Noise-cancelling headphones (NC100/200D)
- RDP-V20iP / SRS-BTV25B iPod docks with 360° Circle Sound and Bluetooth wireless music streaming
- DEV-3/DEV-5 Digital Recording Binoculars
- BDP-S185 Blu-ray Player
- Home Projector VPL-VW95ES
- Walkman®, Mobile Entertainment Player equipped with Android (prototype)
- Sony Internet TV powered by Google TV[v] with prototype of the new platform on new OS: Android Honeycomb
The Sony booth at IFA 2011 will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. CET daily from 2 to 7 September 2011.
i Sideload service for Walkman (A860, S760, E460)
ii Service availability varies by region
iii Existing model which is only available in US
- ends –
[i] Sideload service for Walkman (A860, S760, E460)
[ii] Service availability varies by region
[iii] The world’s lightest eBook reader with diagonal screen size of 15.2 cm (6”) as of August 31, 2011
[iv] Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras with APS-C size sensor as of August 24, 2011
[v] Existing model which is only available in US