From professional studios to the comfort of your own home, Sony reveals tips on how to get great images of your beloved little ones, from the moment they arrive
With royal baby fever sweeping across the UK, Sony has an array of digital imaging products perfect for capturing those special early moments of your growing family. Teaming up with professional portrait and infant photographer, Dan Newberry, Sony reveals tips on how to capture those precious photographs, creating memories to last a lifetime.
Professional photographer Dan Newberry shares his tips to photographing little ones;
- Timing - one of the most important times to photograph a baby is within the first 10 days. Babies features grow and develop so quickly, so it’s important to capture all those special little details that the parents can cherish and remember forever
- Ensure a ‘relaxing’ environment - if I’m looking to capture a creative photo I will set up in advance, rather than trying to work around the children. My advice to parents looking to get arty with their photography is to get props in place first, as otherwise this can be quite stressful – once a baby gets stressed, the parents usually follow suit
- Be prepared to entertain - when working with babies for a long period of time, I often play white noise in the background to keep them calm, usually just after a feed too so they doze in and out – but with slightly older children I recommend bringing their favourite toy, and the noisier the toy the better! The sounds of a familiar toy will keep them entertained, resulting in eye contact, smiles and even a few mischievous giggles. Never be afraid to act a little silly to get a good reaction, trust me it will be worth it when you see the finished picture
- Remember, babies won’t stay still for long - from crawling and first steps, to running out of the shot - before we know it our little ones are keen to explore and for me this is one of the most fascinating times to work with them. I would recommend a camera such as Sony’s α6400 with Eye AutoFocus as this gives a great focus point when children are up and off. It means that in every picture I get precision-sharp detail and focus on the camera in almost every shot
- Use the right tech - the first moments in your child’s life are priceless, so whether you’re shooting in a professional studio or in the comfort of your own home – I think it’s important to have the tech to support your pictures. These photos are something you will treasure for a lifetime
With a wide-range of camera products for every moment, Sony has something to choose from for every budding photographer.
Capture your little ones on the move with Sony’s α6400 mirrorless camera, featuring the World’s Fastest Autofocus
The α6400 brings many of Sony’s most advanced technologies from their acclaimed full-frame line-up to a compact, lightweight camera. The speedy new camera boasts the world’s fastest AutoFocus acquisition of 0.02 seconds, resulting in precision-sharp picture quality, even as your baby is on the move. The new advanced ‘Real-time Eye AutoFocus’ and ‘Real-time Tracking’ capabilities will also come in handy to follow your little ones wherever they go, ensuring they are captured in almost every shot.
The 18-135mm E-mount lens (SEL18135) is an ideal fit for Sony’s popular APS-C sensor cameras including the α6400, and is an extremely useful tool for a wide range of shooting situations - from portraiture to travel photography. Capture baby’s first portrait with outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness, perfect for sharing with your friends and family.
Picture-perfect quality with the Sony RX100 VI ultra-compact camera; combining high magnification Zoom with World’s Fastest AutoFocus
The innovative new RX100 VI camera is the first of all the RX100 models to include a high magnification zoom lens, enabling you to capture every-special detail of your newborn baby, without compromising on the image quality. Similar to the α6400, the RX100 VI features AF, for babies on the go, with fast responsiveness and high image quality that has become the hallmark of Sony’s RX100 line-up. The RX100 also features a tiltable LCD screen, which rotates up to 180 degrees, meaning you can be in the picture with your loved ones too.
World’s smallest Compact High Zoom Camera with 4K Movie Capability; introducing the Sony DSC-HX99
You never have to worry about missing a moment with the DSC-HX99, packaged in the world’s smallest body, the camera can be carried at all times. With a truly versatile zoom range from 24mm at the wide end up to 720mm super-telephoto, the compact frame doesn’t compromise on picture quality. The 4K Movie Capability also allows users to capture those moments that are better-remembered moving, such as the first time your baby walks or their first words.
Notes to Editors
For more information or images, please contact Hope&Glory: SonyDI@hopeandglorypr.com
Sony a6400 | Mirrorless Camera
- World’s fasted 0.02 second AF acquisition speed
- Advanced real-time tracking for object tracking
- 108-degree fully tiltable LCD touch screen for self-recording
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 11fps
Sony SEL18135 | E-mount lens
- 18-135mm focal length with aperture range of F3.5-F5.6
- Optical SteadyShot™ stabilisation
- Produces pleasing bokeh
- Fast, precise and quiet AF performance
Sony RX100 VI | Broad Zoom Range
ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm[i] F2.8 – F4.5 Large Aperture
- Compact body size of acclaimed RX100 series
- World’s Fastest[ii] 0.03 seconds[iii] AF speed
- 315 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering approximately 65% of frame
- 1.0-type stacked 20.1 MP[iv] Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and upgraded BIONZ X™ image processor and Front-end LSI
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 24 fps[v] with full AF/AE tracking
- Optical image stabilisation equivalent to a 4.0-stop[vi] faster shutter speed
Sony DSC-HX99 | World’s Smallest Travel High Zoom Camera
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-720mm[i] High Magnification Zoom and High Image Quality Lens packed into compact body
- Stunning 4K[ii] video with full pixel readout and no pixel binning
- BIONZ X™ image processing engine and newly implemented front-end LSI for seriously impressive stills
- Versatile operability and shooting capabilities including Eye AF, EVF, Control Ring[iii], Touch Focus/Touch Shutteriii, Tiltable LCD and more for flexible shooting options
 Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras equipped with an APS-C image sensor as of January 2019, based on Sony research
 CIPA-compliant, internal measurement method with an E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens mounted, Pre-AF off and viewfinder in use
 Among fixed lens digital cameras with a built-in viewfinder and telephoto end 700mm or above (angle of view, 35mm format equivalent) lens. As of August 2018 press release, based on Sony research
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, imaging, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, interactive entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $77 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2018. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/
About Dan Newberry:
Dan Newberry Photography is a professional photography studio in Aldermaston located in West Berkshire. Capturing special celebrations and moments in people’s lives. This is all achieved in a fun and friendly environment resulting in natural and real lifetime memories. Dan Newberry is a fully trained and professional newborn photographer, resulting in not just beautiful imagery, but making sure your new baby is completely safe at all times.