There may be different shows and ways to watch but we’re a nostalgic nation with a quarter of us still favouring the classics.
- Our favourite shows to watch around Christmas include Only Fools and Horses, which tops the list, along with comedy gems such as Morecambe and Wise and The Vicar of Dibley
- Previous 25th December ratings winners include Gavin & Stacey, which topped the charts last year, and the soaps
- The way we watch TV has changed in the last 50 years, from Black & White output through to colour; 3D and 4K through to latest beautiful 48inch 4K HDR A9 OLED TV from Sony, which even makes old classics look their best with a variety of its supreme picture and sound technologies
- More than a quarter of us (29%) admitted to arguing over what to watch on TV at Christmas; which will be helped by technological advances such as Android and catch-up TV, with families now able to watch what they want, when they want
Comedy is the top choice when it comes to Christmas Day TV, according to a new research from Sony with six of the nation’s Top 10 favourite shows to watch on a festive evening having a comedic side - from Mr Bean through to Father Ted.
Christmas Day brings us together and what to watch on the telly is an important decision. Nearly two-thirds of us (a whopping 62%) don’t admit to arguing over what to watch.
Top 10 favourite TV shows of all time polled by Sony BRAVIA:
- 1.Only Fools & Horses (24%)
- 2.Morecombe & Wise (17%)
- 3.The Vicar of Dibley (15%)
- 4.Gavin & Stacey (14%)
- 5.Doctor Who (12%)
- 6.Mr Bean (12%)
- 7.Call the Midwife (12%)
- 8.Father Ted (12%)
- 9.Coronation Street (11%)
- 10. Eastenders (11%)
Mike Somerset, TV Marketing Manager, Sony, comments, ‘‘With shows from the last fiftyyears making the Top 10 list of what people want to watch this Christmas, we’re delighted that Sony can give a helping hand by allowing customers to use on demand services to find old classics as well as not miss this year’s favourites for beautiful festive TV viewing.
“Our latest 4K HDR A9 BRAVIA OLED can bring older shows such as Only Fools and Horses into the 21st century. Any kind of content can be up-scaled to lifelike 4K resolution. Sony's X1™ Ultimate Processor precisely analyses and processes data to enrich 4K pictures with real-world detail and texture. The resolution of each subject is then optimised by Object-based Super Resolution to reproduce virtually real-world textures – giving the family the best possible TV viewing this Christmas!”
The latest 48inch 4K HDR A9 TV from Sony features a beautiful OLED screen in a compact size. Sony's powerful processor brings out the detail in every scene with sound coming directly from the screen in total harmony with the picture. Enjoy great picture and sound quality packed into a beautifully perfect TV for any living room.
– Ends –
Notes to editors
For more information or images, please contact Hope&Glory:
About the 48A9
- The Sony A9 is Sony’s first 48” OLED premium quality TV.Its small and central aluminium stand provides users with flexibility in smaller spaces, whilst offering the best-in-class picture quality in a smaller size. It features Sony’s premium OLED TV features, including Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate, Pixel Contrast Booster and Acoustic Surface Audio™, as well as the new Ambient Optimization to optimise picture and sound quality in any home environment
- RRP £1,799 / €1,999
 BBC data revealed Gavin and Stacey figures of over 11.6m in 2019
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, image sensors and financial services - Sony's purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. For more information, visit: http://www.sony.net/